Workplace safety should always be a priority, which is why so many business owners and safety managers are looking for new and updated ideas for daily workplace safety tips. Regardless of what industry you’re in, safety matters in every type of workplace environment. And it’s not just about bragging rights - One million hours without injury! Zero slips and falls this year! - or avoiding worker’s compensation claims. It’s ultimately about keeping employees safe, happy, and healthy.
If you’re looking for a quality daily safety tip we’ve got a few good ones for you here today, some of which may seem like common sense but they bear repeating, and reminding employees about regularly.
Daily Safety Tips for the Workplace
- Store and label hazardous materials properly - This goes for combustible materials, chemicals, and solvents, but also cleaning products and possibly even paints and cosmetics.
- Train employees to safely use equipment - Anyone who might use or handle a piece of machinery or equipment should be properly and thoroughly trained on how it works, how to use it, and the dangers of using it improperly. Don’t skimp on recertification or training updates. And any employee who is not trained and has up-to-date certification to use a particular tool shouldn’t even touch it.
- Provide first-aid training and supplies - Despite our best intentions, sometimes accidents still happen. Help protect your employees, and your company, by teaching them how to handle and treat minor injuries and providing basic first-aid supplies. Remember to check and restock the first-aid kit regularly.
- Develop, implement, and practice emergency procedures - You probably already have emergency evacuation route maps posted, marked with “You Are Here” and a fire escape route. But your emergency plans should also include the possibilities that other situations may arise, both natural and man-made, in which they may have to take shelter or evacuate in a different way than they might for a fire. Explain the emergency plans to employees, and practice the procedures. Hopefully you’ll never have to use them, but in case you do, your employees will be more prepared and likely to stay safe.
Daily Workplace Safety Tips in Offices
- Encourage tidiness- Clutter, untamed cables and cords, and towering piles of paperwork are not just distracting and unsightly, they can also be trip hazards.
- Inspire employees to get active - Give sedentary employees a few minutes every hour or two to get up and stretch or move around. Reward those who go for a walk or take a fitness class on their lunch break. Encourage them to park at the back of the lot, or take the stairs instead of the elevator. Challenge employees with a fitness competition. They’ll experience fewer health problems as a result of their desk jobs, and they will almost certainly be happier workers!
- Offer ergonomic options - The sky is pretty much the limit these days on ergonomic office equipment and supplies. Of course, you’ve got your ergonomic desk chair and keyboard, but nowadays there is also a plethora of ergonomic workstations, accessories - like box cutters and supports.
Daily Workplace Safety Tips in Warehouses
- Daily inspections - Watch for equipment that may need to be repaired or replaced, or spaces that could potentially pose a hazard. And, of course, be on the lookout for employees who might be using tools or equipment improperly and unsafely.
- Keep the floors clean and dry - Spills don’t just have to be of the liquid variety. Slips and falls can happen because of sawdust, paper, or other spilled material. They’re also easy to prevent by sweeping and/or mopping floors regularly.
- Encourage safe lifting - Have employees use proper equipment or tools to help them lift heavy items whenever possible to prevent injury. Remind them to be safe when moving things - for example never carry items up or down a ladder.
A safe work environment is vital to getting the job done, regardless of what the job is, and it’s important whether the work environment is a warehouse full of workers or a small office with four cubicles.
When it comes to safety in the workplace, a little preparation and education can go a long way to preventing workplace injuries. By implementing some of these daily workplace safety tips you’ll be able to keep your employees safe and reach that brag-worthy “Safe for One Million Hours” goal!